Saturday, May 24, 2008

Read it read it read it, and learn!

Mark Steyn says it all right.
I was watching the Big Oil execs testifying before Congress. That was my first mistake. If memory serves, there was lesbian mud wrestling over on Channel 137, and on the whole that’s less rigged. Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz knew the routine: “I can’t say that there is evidence that you are manipulating the price, but I believe that you probably are. So prove to me that you are not.”
Had I been in the hapless oil man’s expensive shoes, I’d have answered, “Hey, you first. I can’t say that there is evidence that you’re sleeping with barnyard animals, but I believe that you probably are. So prove to me that you are not. Whatever happened to the presumption of innocence and prima facie evidence, lady? Do I have to file a U.N. complaint in Geneva that the House of Representatives is in breach of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights?”

But that’s why I don’t get asked to testify before Congress. So instead the Big Oil guy oozed as oleaginous as his product before the grand panjandrums of the House Sub-Committee on Televised Posturing, and then they went off and passed by 324 to 82 votes the so-called NOPEC bill. The NOPEC bill is, in effect, a suit against OPEC, which, if I recall correctly, stands for the Oil Price-Exploiting Club. “No War For Oil!,” as the bumper stickers say. But a massive suit for oil — now that’s the American way!

I just love it -- I think you may be doing something illegal, but I have no proof, but you have to prove to me that you're not. Excellent. That's one of our esteemed and honorable lawmakers showing just how effectively she can say stupid things. The oil execs brought to testify in this kangaroo proceeding should have said "I'm here because you asked me. If you want to grandstand and call me a jerk, do so, but be aware that not only are you wrong on the facts, you're dishonest. If you're not lying, then you're an idiot that doesn't understand basic economics. If you're just pandering to your constituents, well, pander away and make sure that you try to kill the goose that laid the golden egg for the American economy."

Why don't we just nationalize the industry? That has worked so well in the past. Oh no wait....

UPDATE: Learn some more. American oil companies, supply of oil, and the policies that keep us paying more at the pump than we need to. But we must protect the majestic caribou!!! And China can drill in the Caribbean, but our companies can't even explore for oil in the most promising areas for domestic oil production. Sheesh.