Friday, July 21, 2006

Mmm mmm good . . .

I just love me some UN-bashing.
No, the failure comes in precisely the arena that supposedly justifies the U.N.’s existence: global peace and security. And that’s where the delusion comes in. The folks at United Nations Plaza have proved themselves to be either well-intentioned incompetents or cagey, crapulent kleptocrats. The list of their biggest failures is spelled out in blood: Somalia, Rwanda, Yugoslavia, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Congo (where peacekeepers reportedly raped the local girls), Iraq (where the U.N. bugged out after a bombing in 2003), Darfur, and, in what was supposed to be the model for U.N. peacekeeping, East Timor, which, after seven years of exemplary U.N. stewardship, recently became the ideal location to film a reality-show version of Mad Max.
But isn't the UN the "last best hope of mankind"? Who said that, anyway?

UPDATE: I used that fancy thing they call "google," and it turns out that Abraham Lincoln (See here or here) used it first:
My dream is of a place and a time where America will once again be seen as the last best hope of earth.
I could have sworn it was somebody talking about the UN. So embarassed I am!