Friday, April 28, 2006

Definitely not my kind of religion

WTF?
A Pakistani couple, jailed after the woman's father objected to their love marriage, appeared in court on Friday after spending five years in prison without trial.

"I have committed no adultery," 23-year-old Sodi (Eds; one name) wept in a courthouse in the southern city of Hyderabad as she recounted her ordeal to journalists.

"I was 18 when I got married of my own free will with Kashkeli. Our marriage was contracted before a maulvi (preacher) and registered," said the woman, who has been held in a separate jail from her husband.

The couple were arrested in October 2001 on adultery charges after the woman's father, a farmer, lodged a report with police accusing the man of abducting his daughter and committing adultery with her.
Shining a light on this madness, perhaps, can bring about some change. But christ, are you kidding me? 5 years in jail for not agreeing to some arranged marriage, and marrying because you love someone? This is in Pakistan, our ally--can you imagine what things are like in, say, Saudi Arabia?